Maintain your equipment to prevent future problems and unwanted costs. Keep your cooling and heating system at peak performance by having a qualified professional contractor perform annual preseason checkups.
During an AC maintenance appointment, your technician will be conducting a thorough inspection and diagnostic of your system, ensuring all of your critical components are in good shape for the coming season, and performing routine tasks that will help keep your system healthy.
Read on to find out what happens during an HVAC maintenance appointment from Beaufort Air Conditioning.
The HVAC Maintenance Checklist
You might be wondering exactly what you are getting when you schedule an HVAC maintenance appointment.
When you schedule an HVAC maintenance appointment, your technician will perform the following:
- Check the thermostat settings to ensure the cooling and heating system keeps you comfortable when you are home and saves energy while you are away.
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors. Faulty electrical connections can cause unsafe operation of your system and reduce the life of major components.
- Lubricate all moving parts. Parts that lack lubrication cause friction in motors and increases the amount of electricity you use.
- Check controls of the system to ensure proper and safe operation. Check the starting cycle of the equipment to ensure the system starts, operates, and shuts off properly.
- Clean evaporator and condenser air conditioning coils. Dirty coils damage the system’s ability to cool your home and cause the system to run longer, increasing energy costs and reducing the life of the equipment.
- Check your central air conditioner’s refrigerant level and adjust if necessary. Too much or too little refrigerant will make your system less efficient, increasing energy costs and reducing the life of the equipment.
- Clean and adjust blower components to provide proper system airflow for greater comfort levels. Airflow problems can reduce your system’s efficiency by up to 15%.
Check all gas (or oil) connections, gas pressure, burner combustion, and heat exchanger. Improperly operating gas (or oil) connections are a fire hazard and can contribute to health problems. A dirty burner or cracked heat exchanger causes improper burner operation. Either can cause the equipment to operate less safely and efficiently.
Actions to Do Yourself
Inspect, clean, or change air filters once a month in your central air conditioner, furnace, or heat pump. Your contractor can show you how to do this. A dirty filter can increase energy costs and damage your equipment, leading to early failure.
Why Schedule HVAC Maintenance
Having your heating and air system serviced regularly will save you significant amounts of money in the long run. Maintenance calls are quick and affordable and help prevent and delay a whole host of expensive problems.
With HVAC maintenance, you’ll enjoy benefits like:
- Peak Efficiency – Regular HVAC maintenance ensures that your system is running at peak efficiency. You may have noticed above that there are many small deficiencies that, while they won’t cause an immediate breakdown, do cause your system to waste electricity. For example, a minor blockage in your ductwork or low refrigerant levels may not cause your system to break down in the summer heat. But with all the energy the system is wasting, it may end up costing just as much as a repair in the long run.
- Breakdown prevention – Your system might have minor deficiencies that aren’t immediately threatening a total system failure, but are putting unnecessary wear on your system every day. Eventually, these will cause parts to break down, and you’ll be making an expensive repair call. Not to mention, you’ll be sitting in the brutal South Carolina heat while waiting for the next available technician.
These issues may cause you to spend thousands of dollars on a new HVAC system months or even years before it’s necessary.
Schedule HVAC Maintenance with Beaufort Air Conditioning
HVAC maintenance is incredibly affordable, and even if your system is in top shape and ready to battle the summer or winter weather, you’ll be able to rest easy knowing that your system won’t be breaking down at the worst possible time. Just give us a call at (843) 420-9542 and schedule your seasonal maintenance today!